Family Law Attorney in Palm Harbor
Call For A Free Consultation 727.914.5030

Changes in life often prompt changes in divorce agreements

No matter if it stems from changes in your own life, something of note popping up in the life of your child or a troubling situation that developed with your former spouse, a new circumstance may mean that you need to alter your divorce agreement to suit.

If you and your ex cannot agree to the change, you can turn to an experienced divorce attorney for help in resolving the matter.

Reasons for change

One of the most common reasons given for making changes to a divorce agreement is reduced income. Another reason for change might be that your employer is moving you to another office located out of state. On the other hand, your child may have become seriously ill, the medical bills are mounting and you are struggling with the expense as well as the worry.

Serious concerns

You may want to change the terms of your divorce agreement because you have become concerned about the behavior of your former spouse. This may be due to an addiction to drugs or alcohol, which you believe is resulting in child abuse or, at the very least, lack of proper supervision. Perhaps a new spouse has come into the life of your ex, and you see signs of this person contradicting the values you have been trying to teach your child.

Modifying your agreement

If a financial crisis, health issue or some other legitimate problem develops and you want to modify the existing divorce agreement, the court will want proof of the circumstances prompting such a request to ensure that the change will be in the best interests of your child. You should, therefore, prepare to present evidence such as pay stubs or medical records. Your attorney can advise you as to the options you have for modifying your divorce agreement and help you make an informed decision so you can go forward in a way that will accommodate the changes in your life and the life of your child.