Family Law Attorney in Palm Harbor
Call For A Free Consultation 727.914.5030

The key to determining support for children with special needs

Divorce is never easy, and regardless of what has led to the difficult decision to end a marriage, when children with special needs are involved, matters become more complicated. Once custody is decided, you will then have to determine the amount of child support the main caregiver will receive from the other parent to ensure any agreement meets the medical, physical and emotional requirements of the child. This decision may seem straightforward; however, when dealing with such a sensitive issue, especially when both parents provided care for their child, emotions can prevent an amicable resolution.

When both parents maintain open communication and put their feelings aside, the best interests of the child become clear. Mediation may help to alleviate concerns as it provides a neutral environment where everyone can talk about the needs of the children and each other. Regardless of what avenue works best for your situation, whether it is mediation or communication through your lawyers or other outside parties, the main thing to keep focused on is meeting the financial needs of the child. Consider the amount of financial support required to cover everyday expenses, extracurricular activities, and medical needs. 

There are also many agencies available with programs designed to help ensure you continue to receive the same level of care you and your child received before the divorce. Reach out to groups in your community as they can offer a wonderful support system. There are also financial aid programs available should you require further assistance.

If you are the parent of a child or children with special needs and you have decided that divorce is the best avenue for you, contacting an attorney who specializes in complex issues surrounding child support for children with special needs is a good place to start. They can help you through every step of the process and answer any questions you may have.